Parts of the country have been receiving heavy rains for the past two weeks which have triggered floods.
• Floods reported in Traditional Authority Mlolo
• 1109 households affected ( staying in their communities)
• Sectors affected include: Education ( 2 school), Water and Sanitation, Agriculture ( Maize and Rice), Health ( 1 Health Centre at Muona), Roads
• 450 households displaced in T.A Ndindi
• Sectors affected Water and Sanitation , Shelter, Education ( Displaced sheltering at a school). Water logging conditions also reported there by raising risk of water borne diseases
• 1722 households displaced being sheltered at 5 schools and a church
• details on the sectors affected is yet to be made available
• 2876 households affected in 5T.As namely Chowe, Namabvi, Chimwala, Mponda and Namkumba
• Sectors affected: agriculture
In light of the reports there was an Inter Agency meeting on 14th January to agree on what could be done. The Department of Disaster Management Affairs and its partners are sending relief materials to Phalombe and Mangochi which include maize flour, plastic sheeting for shelter, tents and mosquito nets. There is also detailed assessment planned from 16th January 2013.